For the Afiame Soup :
- 1 cup of beans powder
- 8 large pieces of Beef
- 1 large piece of Smoked Fish
- 2 medium pieces of Stock Fish
- 3 Scotch Bonnet Peppers
- A handful of chopped Scent leaves
- 3 cooking spoons of Palm Oil
- 3 pieces of Uda (Negro Pepper)
- 1/2 cup of Crayfish pieces
- Seasoning cubes
- A handful of chopped Onions
Season beef with chopped scotch bonnet peppers, onions and seasoning cubes and bring to boil till beef is soft.
When beef is soft, wash the smoked fish and stock fish and add to the pot to cook.
Pound the Uda, remove the seeds and add to the pot of boiling meat and fish.
Add the crayfish pieces and pour in the palm oil and cook on low heat.
In a separate pan, on low heat, stir fry the bean powder till slightly brown.
Allow the roasted bean powder to cool then add water slowly and stir till a paste is formed.
To the pot of meats, slowly stir in the bean powder paste till all the powder is in the pot.
If your soup gets too thick, pour some water to loosen it a bit and allow to simmer.
Add the chopped scent leaves to the pot, stir and allow to simmer for about a minute.
Serve your afiame soup with any swallow of choice.
Source : www.afrolems.com
Prep 15 m
Cook 1 h 20 m
Ready In 1 h 35 m
- Place pumpkin seeds in a blender and blend for 30 to 40 seconds or until mixture is a powdery paste. Set aside.
- Wash beef and cut into bite-size cubes. Season with salt. In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Add beef and saute for 3 to 5 minutes or until brown but not cooked through.
- Place tomatoes, onions, and pepper in a blender and blend for about 30 seconds or until smooth. Add tomato mixture to meat, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover. Cook for 40 to 50 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Add tomato sauce, water, and shrimp and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add spinach and ground pumpkin seeds and continue to simmer 10 minutes more.
Zimbabwean Chicken and Vegetable Soup
Prep 30 m
Cook 1 h 30 m
Ready In 2 h
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot; cook and stir the onion in the hot oil until translucent, about 5 minutes. Whisk 1/2 cup of vegetable stock and the peanut butter into the onions until the mixture is smooth. Beat in remaining vegetable stock, diced tomatoes with their liquid, and crushed red pepper flakes; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and cook at a simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cabbage, sweet potato, carrot, and turnip; simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 30 more minutes. Stir in the okra and chicken and simmer until the okra is tender, about 30 additional minutes.
African Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup
Prep 20 m
Cook 55 m
Ready In 1 h 15 m
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute the onion 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Mix in the garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and cloves. Stir in the tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrot, and continue to cook and stir about 5 minutes.
- Pour water into the saucepan, and season the mixture with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove the soup mixture from heat. In a food processor or blender, blend the soup and peanuts until almost smooth. Season with cayenne pepper. Return to the saucepan. Whisk in the peanut butter, and cook until heated through. Serve warm topped with fresh cilantro.