- Butter 60g (cold, cut into smaller cubes)
- All-purpose flour ½ cup (62.5g)
- Sugar 3 tablespoons (37.5g)
- Ground cinnamon –
- All-purpose flour 2 cups (250g)
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Baking power 3 teaspoons
- Sugar ½ cup (118g)
- Butter – 125g (melted)
- Eggs – 2
- Milk – ¾ cup
- Apples 2 – Cored and cubed
- Optional : add ½ teaspoon of cinnamon into the sliced apple and microwave for 2.5 mins
- Handful or 2 chopped nut (optional)
- Preheat oven to (350°F)
- Grease a round cake pan – set aside
- Combine the Crumble topping ingredient in a bowl until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. set in refrigerator
- Sift flour into a mixing bowl and add in left over dry ingredients. combine.
- Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl
- Combine wet and dry ingredients until well incorporated
- Pour half of the batter into the cake pan Place apple cubes onto the batter, pressing them in slightly, pour over the left over batter. Sprinkle on chopped nut if using
- Sprinkle on the crumble topping (should be in the fridge)
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Leave to cool for 10 minutes or more before slicing
- Serve warm with ice cream
Passion Fruit Pudding Cake
- 2 fresh passion fruit sub ¼ cup passion fruit
- ¼ cup passion fruit puree
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs separated
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon/Lime Juice
- 1 Tablespoon lime Zest
- 1 Tablespoon rum optional
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a 2 quart oven safe dish (ceramic, glass,Pyrex custard cups) or 8 “4 “ounce ramekins generously with cooking spray and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together 2/3 granulated sugar, salt and flour. Set aside.
In a Large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, butter, milk, rum, lime zest, lime juice and passion fruit puree, and pulp until fully combined.
Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and whisk to just combine.
Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites for about a minute then add sugar and continue mixing on medium-high until stiff peaks form, this may take about 2-3 more minutes.
Using a spatula carefully fold in ¼ of the egg whites mixture, and then fold in the remaining until well incorporated.
Pour the batter into a buttered baking dish, place in the large baking or roasting pan, then carefully pour hot water into the baking pan to come half-way up the sides of ramekins, or casserole dish. Bake until the top of the cake or cakes turn light golden and puff slightly (do a test with your finger a finger, they should feel spongy and spring back a bit but hold a shallow indentation, 25 to 30 minutes.
Let the cake cool to room temperature . Refrigerate for about 2 or more hours before serving or up to 24 hours.
- If you want some sauce at the bottom of the cake you have got to use a water bath. The water bath should be a baking / roasting pan that is larger than whatever you are baking the cake in(ramekins, casseroles or baking dish)
- The water level usually determines the creamy layer at the bottom of the dish- middle of the casserole is a good place start.
- Be sure that the water you pour into the outer pan is hot, and, to be on the safe side, put the pan inside the oven before you pour the hot water into it.
- This cake can be made ahead of time, up to 4 hours refrigerate and then baked when ready.
- Sub passion fruit puree with mango puree, pineapple or just use lemon juice.
Whisk Egg Whites and Sugar until soft peaks Form about 3-5 minutes
Whisk together the egg yolks, butter, milk, rum, lime zest and passion fruit puree, and pulp until fully combined
Combination fo egg white mixture and other egg yolk mixture
Pour the batter into a buttered baking dish, place in the large baking or roasting pan, then carefully pour hot water into the baking pan to come half-way up the sides of ramekins, or casserole dish.
Vitumbua ( Coconut Rice Pancakes)
- 2 cups rice
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1 cup canned coconut milk slightly warmed
- 2-3 tablespoon coconut flakes optional
- ½ -1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ – 1-cup sugar brown, white or coconut sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 1 teaspoon Spice Cardamom, nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cans coconut
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Soak 2 cups of rice in a large bowl and let it soften, this might take 4 hours or more, preferably overnight.
Drain the water completely and add in a food processor or blender together with coconut milk, flakes, spices, sugar, salt and yeast. Blend until puree, you might have to do this in batches depending on your blender- make sure you pause in between and check for smoothness.
Pour in a large bowl, cover and let it rise in a warm area until doubled in size or when you see bubbles forming.
Heat a vitumbua, or fry pan on medium heat, add about a ½ or more teaspoon of oil, and brush the holes with the oil.
Make sure pan is warm enough before adding batter about ¾ full. Cook for about 2 -3 minutes on each side, then quickly flip using chopstick. Continue cooking on the other side and repeat this process until all the batter is finished.
Let it cool slightly and enjoy with chai or caramel dipping sauce.
Bring the coconut milk and brown sugar to a boil together in a heavy-bottomed pot or skillet. Reduce heat to medium low; cook and stir frequently until the mixture is thick and the volume has reduced by about half, about 20 minutes or more.
Mango and Pineapple Chutney
- 2-3 large mangoes peeled and chopped or 2 -3 cups pineapple chunks
- 1 teaspoons fresh ginger finely minced
- ½ cup chopped onions
- ½ teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 medium Jalapenos pepper diced
- 1/3 red bell pepper diced
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon/nutmeg
- Salt to taste optional
- ½ cup sugar granulated, coconut, brown or combination
- ½ cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
Combine mangoes, ginger, garlic, onions, Jalapenos, bell pepper, spices, sugar and vinegar in a large stainless steel sauce- pan. Bring to a boil,then cook, uncovered for about 20 minutes or more, until tender and the sauce thickens.
Remove let it cool, refrigerate and start using- with last more than a month in the fridge, covered