– 2 cups wholegrain flour
– 1/2 cup 100% cocoa powder
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 cup raw cane sugar
– 2 ripe bananas (mashed)
– 1/4 cup raisins
– 1/4 cup chopped almonds
– 1/2 cup vegan margarine (i.e. plant-based margarine)
– 1 tsp almond extract / vanilla essence
No big deal to this at all. Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and give it a good mix.
Pour into a loaf tin lined with greaseproof paper and top with a few chopped almonds to make it look all rustic and home-made.
Bake in a pre-heated oven (gas mark 6) for 20-25 min. Insert a cocktail stick to check if it’s cooked all the way through. If it comes out clean then you’re good to go.
Leave to cool for about an hour before cutting into thick slices.
Vegetable salad recipe 😋😋
How to make Nigerian vegetable salad
• Prep time: 30 minutes
• Meal type: Appetizer
• Misc: Serve chilled
• 1 medium sized cabbage
• 1 small cucumber
• 5 lettuce leaves
• 3 medium sized carrots
• 3 small tomatoes
• 1 medium sized green bell pepper
• 2 cups sweet corn
• 1 cup green peas – salted, boiled
• 2 cups macaroni – salted, boiled
• 4 eggs – hard-boiled
Step 1: Rinse the cabbage and chop. Slice the cucumber into 2 from the middle, remove the seeds, rinse and chop. Rinse the lettuce, tomatoes, green bell pepper & carrots, chop.
Step 2: In a medium sized bowl, combine the whole ingredients together and mix everything together. Pop it into the refrigerator to chill and also prevent it from getting sour.
Step 3: To serve, simply dish out into small bowls and drizzle some salad cream or mayonnaise over it. Serve alone as an appetizer or as a side with any rice dish.
Easy shredded smoked chicken in pepper sauce
• 4 pieces Smoked chicken
• 1 red Onion
• 10 medium sized Chili pepper
• 2 medium sized Green Pepper
• 5 Garlic cloves
• 1 tsp. Curry powder
• 1 tsp. Thyme
• 2 crushed Seasoning cubes
• Salt to taste
Step 1: Rinse the smoked chicken with clean water and shred with your fingers or cut up with a knife. Smoked chicken is already cooked so it’s usually really easy for the meat to come off the bone. Don’t throw the bone away as you’d need it to make the stock extra juicy.
Step 2: Chop the onion, chili pepper, green pepper and mince the garlic cloves – set this aside
Step 3: In a small pot, heat up 1/2 cup of vegetable oil for about 1 minute. Once it’s hot, add the chopped onion stir fry for 30 secs, followed by the chopped chili pepper, green pepper and minced garlic. Stir fry for about 2 minutes.
Step 4: Add the shredded chicken, curry powder, thyme, crushed seasoning and salt to taste. Stir and leave for about 3-5 minutes. By now, the juice from the chicken would have seeped out.
Turn off the burner and serve alongside yam, rice, potato or any meal you want to serve it with.
Nigerian Fish Stew Recipe
For the Fish Stew :
- 1 large croaker fish
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 large bell pepper
- 5 scotch bonnet peppers (ata rodo)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 medium sized ginger
- 3 garlic cloves
- Seasoning cubes
- 1 teaspoon Curry
- 3 small thyme stalks or 1/2 teaspoon of thyme powder
- A pinch of chopped scent leaves
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- Descale, cut, wash and season your fish with 2 blended scotch bonnet peppers, 1 clove of garlic and a seasoning cube.
- Heat up your oil for frying on medium heat and fry on both sides till golden brown.
- Blend 1 tomato, half of the bell pepper, scotch bonnet peppers, ginger and garlic and set aside.
- Chop the rest of the tomato and bell pepper and set aside.
- In a separate pot, scoop 1 cooking spoon of oil into your pot and heat up.
- Fry your onions and chopped tomato and bell pepper on medium heat.
- Pour in the blended mix, season with your thyme, seasoning cubes and a teaspoon of curry for about 8-10 minutes on medium heat. Be sure to check that your sauce is not burning, if it is reduce the heat.
- Add the fish but stir lightly in the sauce so the fish does not break apart and finally add the scent leaves or basil.
- Serve your Nigerian fish stew hot!