For the Chilli Garlic Oil
125 ml (½ cup) Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Dried Red Chilli Flakes
5 Garlic Cloves, peeled and smashed
For the Chicken Marinated in Chilli Garlic Oil
560 grams (1 pound 3 ounces) Chicken Breast, cut into strips
3 tablespoons Cooled Chilli Garlic Oil (or to taste)
1 Lemon, sliced into thin rounds
1 teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
Handful Fresh Coriander, chopped
For the Chickpea Greek Salad
½ Cucumber, diced
15 Cherry Tomatoes, halved
4 tablespoons Pitted Green Olives
6 Basil Leaves, chopped
Few tablespoons Feta, crumbled
¼ Red Onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tin (400 grams) Chickpeas, drained
2 tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
Plenty of Salt and Pepper
Juice of ½ Lemon
For the Minty Greek Yoghurt
200ml Greek Yoghurt
Handful Fresh Mint Leaves
Salt and Pepper, to taste
To make the Chilli Garlic Oil:
Place the olive oil, chilli flakes and garlic into a deep saucepan. Bring to a low boil and cook for 3-4 minutes until the garlic is fragrant and lightly brown.
Set aside and let it cool completely. This will keep in the fridge, covered tightly, for a few days.
To make the Chicken Marinated in Chilli Garlic Oil:
Place the chicken strips in a bowl. Add the chilli garlic oil, lemon slices, salt, pepper and fresh coriander. Give everything a good stir. Leave to marinade for a few hours or ideally, overnight in fridge.
30 minutes before you want to cook, take the chicken out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature.
To cook, take a large frying pan. Place over a medium heat and when the pan is hot, add all the chicken along with the marinade. Let it bubble and fry for a minute or two.
Then, turn the heat right down and cover with a lid. Let it cook for about 15 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
Then, uncover and dry out the excess liquid over a high heat, stir-frying as you do this. Keep it as saucy or as dry as you want.
To make the Chickpea Greek Salad:
Place all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix well.
To make the Minty Greek Yoghurt:
Blend 4 tablespoons of the Greek yoghurt with the fresh mint until smooth. Then, stir in the remaining yoghurt, salt and pepper.
Algerian Bouzgene Berber Bread with Roasted Pepper Sauce
Prep 20 m
Cook 20 m
Ready In,40 m
- Preheat your oven’s broiler. Place red bell peppers and tomatoes on a baking sheet, and roast under the broiler for about 8 minutes, turning occasionally. This should blacken the skin and help it peel off more easily. Cool, then scrape the skins off of the tomatoes and peppers, and place them in a large bowl. Remove cores and seeds from the bell peppers.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the jalapenos and garlic, and cook until tender, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and transfer the garlic and jalapeno to the bowl with the tomatoes and red peppers. Using two sharp steak knives (one in each hand), cut up the tomatoes and peppers to a coarse and soupy consistency. Stir, and set sauce aside.
- Place the semolina in a large bowl, and stir in salt and 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Gradually add water while mixing and squeezing with your hand until the dough holds together without being sticky or dry, and molds easily with the hand. Divide into 6 pieces and form into balls.
- For each round, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Roll out dough one round at a time, to no thicker than 1/4 inch. Fry in the hot skillet until dark brown spots appear on the surface, and they are crispy. Remove from the skillet, and wrap in a clean towel while preparing the remaining flat breads.
- To eat the bread and sauce, break off pieces of the bread, and scoop them into the sauce. It will slide off, but just keep reaching in!
Prep 15 m
Cook 25 m
Ready In 2 h 10 m
- In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup warm water and sugar. Sprinkle the yeast over the top, and let stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy.
- Place flour in a large bowl, and stir in salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the corn oil and yeast mixture. Add the remaining water in small amounts until you have a soft moist dough that can be handled. Turn out onto a floured surface, and knead for at least 5 minutes. Return to the bowl, cover with a towel, and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Deflate the risen dough, and divide into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball with a rolling pin so it is oval shaped, about 6 inches long, and 1/2 inch thick. Use a fork or dull knife to draw three lines on the top of each loaf. Place the loaves on a baking sheet. Mix together the egg and remaining tablespoon of water; brush the tops of the loaves with the mixture. Sprinkle caraway seeds over the tops, if using.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until the loaves are shiny and golden brown.
Black Glutinous Rice Porridge
Prep 15 m
Cook 30 m
Ready In 45 m
- In a saucepan bring water and pandan leaf to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove pandan leaf and stir in brown sugar and white sugar. Continue to cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk and remove from heat.