- 1 lb beef steak or 1 lb chicken breast, cut into ½ inch chunks (or use bone-in chicken pieces and simmer them in the sauce; once cooked leave the pieces whole or remove the meat from the bones and add it back to the stew.)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ can (3 oz) tomato paste
- ¾ cup natural, unsweetened peanut butter
- 4 Maggi or Knorr tomato bouillon cubes
- 3 cups water
- Scotch bonnet chilies, diced, according to heat preference
- 4 cups pumpkin or sweet potato, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in large Dutch oven. Saute the onions until golden. Add the beef and garlic and continue to sauté until the beef is no longer pink. Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste, chilies, peanut butter and stir to combine. Add the water and bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add squash, cover, and continue to cook for 35-40 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with rice. This stew tastes even better the next day.
Basic Ghanaian Gravy
- 2medium onions, diced
- 8tomatoes, Romas preferred
- 1⁄2cup vegetable oil
- 1teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2teaspoon thyme
- 1green pepper, diced (optional)
- Heat oil in frying pan and saute onions until soft, but not brown.
- Add tomatoes, cayenne pepper, seasoning salt and thyme (plus green pepper is using).
- Fry for 30 minutes until tomatoes are soft and deep red in color.
Source : www.geniuskitchen.com
How to cook Nigerian Jollof Rice
Source : www.nigerianfoodchannel.com
Zucchini Marinated Chicken
2 large zuchinnis
2 garlic cloves
1/2 of a small red onion
1/2 fresh hot pepper (optional)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 seasoning cubes e.g Knorr,Maggi
2 skinless chicken breasts
4 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons water
Chop off the head and bottom of the zuchinnis; peel off the skins using a potato peeler.Cut the zuchinni into medium chunks.
Combine all the ingredients (except the chicken) starting with the liquids in a blender; blend on high speed for about 20 seconds.
Coat the chicken breasts with 6 to 8 tablespoons of the marinade. Put in the fridge and let sit for about 30 mins.
Bake the chicken in the oven at 350°F for 30 mins or until the it is cooked.You can use a fork to test for doneness.
Serve with any side of your choice.I served mine with pasta.
Things to Note
If you don’t have a blender or prefer a rougher marinade,you can grate all the ingredients instead and mix in the oil. You will add less water if you use a grater.
Store the extra marinade in a glass jar in your fridge. It keeps for about 2 weeks.