Vegetable salad recipe 😋😋
How to make Nigerian vegetable salad
• Prep time: 30 minutes
• Meal type: Appetizer
• Misc: Serve chilled
Nigerian Fish Stew Recipe
For the Fish Stew :
- 1 large croaker fish
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 large bell pepper
- 5 scotch bonnet peppers (ata rodo)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 medium sized ginger
- 3 garlic cloves
- Seasoning cubes
- 1 teaspoon Curry
- 3 small thyme stalks or 1/2 teaspoon of thyme powder
- A pinch of chopped scent leaves
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- Descale, cut, wash and season your fish with 2 blended scotch bonnet peppers, 1 clove of garlic and a seasoning cube.
- Heat up your oil for frying on medium heat and fry on both sides till golden brown.
- Blend 1 tomato, half of the bell pepper, scotch bonnet peppers, ginger and garlic and set aside.
- Chop the rest of the tomato and bell pepper and set aside.
- In a separate pot, scoop 1 cooking spoon of oil into your pot and heat up.
- Fry your onions and chopped tomato and bell pepper on medium heat.
- Pour in the blended mix, season with your thyme, seasoning cubes and a teaspoon of curry for about 8-10 minutes on medium heat. Be sure to check that your sauce is not burning, if it is reduce the heat.
- Add the fish but stir lightly in the sauce so the fish does not break apart and finally add the scent leaves or basil.
- Serve your Nigerian fish stew hot!
For the Doughnuts
- 2 cups/250g plain white flour
- 1 packet active dry yeast OR 1.5 tsps
- 3 tbsps/ 40 g butter/margarine
- 3-4 tbsps/35-40 g light brown sugar
- 4 tbsps/40 g granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup/120 ml milk
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
For strawberry filling:
- 8 m/l fresh strawberries
- 2 tbsps granulated white sugar
- 1-1.5 cups water
1. Add flour, salt and yeast to a dry bowl
2. Stir together with a whisk or spoon. Add room temperature butter to flour
3. Use finger tips to work butter into flour till it looks crumbly. Add light brown sugar
4. Stir together with a whisk or spoon. Make a well/hole in center of flour, add egg in
5. Add warm milk to egg
6. Use a whisk or spoon to start mixing till it starts to stiffen
7. Switch to your hands and work dough till it starts to come together
8. Keep working dough until it becomes smooth with no lumps
9. Holding dough in one hand, rub around bowl with some butter, return dough to bowl, cover and let rest for 1 hour in a warm place
10. After 1 hour, dough should have doubled in size. Add some flour to a surface and rolling pin
11. Begin rolling out dough to the thickness of your smallest finger
12. Using a cookie cutter or water bottle lid (below), start cutting out circles in dough
13. Cut out as many circles as you can
14. As you cut out the circles, transfer them to a tray sprinkled with flour and sprinkle some flour atop dough
14b. Roll up any scraps you have and finish cutting
15. Cover tray with foil or cling film and let dough rise to almost double in size for 30-45 minutes in a warm place
16. While waiting for dough to rise, start heating up your oil and making the strawberry reduction sauce
17. One time has elapsed, start adding doughnuts to hot oil
18. Let fry up to a minute per side till golden brown
19. Finish frying all donuts and set aside on a paper towel to drain excess oil
20. Once strawberry sauce has cooled, pour into a piping/icing bag
21. Use a knife to create a center inside the doughnut
22. Insert icing tip into doughnut and fill with strawberry sauce, then set aside
23. Once filled, roll doughnuts in strawberry liquid (please see notes below ; apologies for the harsh yellow)
24. Roll glazed doughnut in granulated white sugar, set aside
25. You, my friend, just made some Nigerian doughnuts!
26. Texure shot