- 2 fresh passion fruit sub ¼ cup passion fruit
- ¼ cup passion fruit puree
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs separated
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon/Lime Juice
- 1 Tablespoon lime Zest
- 1 Tablespoon rum optional
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a 2 quart oven safe dish (ceramic, glass,Pyrex custard cups) or 8 “4 “ounce ramekins generously with cooking spray and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together 2/3 granulated sugar, salt and flour. Set aside.
In a Large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, butter, milk, rum, lime zest, lime juice and passion fruit puree, and pulp until fully combined.
Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and whisk to just combine.
Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites for about a minute then add sugar and continue mixing on medium-high until stiff peaks form, this may take about 2-3 more minutes.
Using a spatula carefully fold in ¼ of the egg whites mixture, and then fold in the remaining until well incorporated.
Pour the batter into a buttered baking dish, place in the large baking or roasting pan, then carefully pour hot water into the baking pan to come half-way up the sides of ramekins, or casserole dish. Bake until the top of the cake or cakes turn light golden and puff slightly (do a test with your finger a finger, they should feel spongy and spring back a bit but hold a shallow indentation, 25 to 30 minutes.
Let the cake cool to room temperature . Refrigerate for about 2 or more hours before serving or up to 24 hours.
- If you want some sauce at the bottom of the cake you have got to use a water bath. The water bath should be a baking / roasting pan that is larger than whatever you are baking the cake in(ramekins, casseroles or baking dish)
- The water level usually determines the creamy layer at the bottom of the dish- middle of the casserole is a good place start.
- Be sure that the water you pour into the outer pan is hot, and, to be on the safe side, put the pan inside the oven before you pour the hot water into it.
- This cake can be made ahead of time, up to 4 hours refrigerate and then baked when ready.
- Sub passion fruit puree with mango puree, pineapple or just use lemon juice.
Passion Fruit Pudding Cake
Amount Per Serving
Calories 298Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10g15%
Saturated Fat 5g25%
Total Carbohydrates 48g16%
Dietary Fiber 4g16%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Whisk Egg Whites and Sugar until soft peaks Form about 3-5 minutes
Whisk together the egg yolks, butter, milk, rum, lime zest and passion fruit puree, and pulp until fully combined
Combination fo egg white mixture and other egg yolk mixture
Pour the batter into a buttered baking dish, place in the large baking or roasting pan, then carefully pour hot water into the baking pan to come half-way up the sides of ramekins, or casserole dish.