• 7 medium sized Garden eggs (either purple « aubergine », white or green )
• 1 cup Palm oil
• 1 medium sized Smoked fish
• 1 tbsp. ground pepper (either chili, scotch bonnet e.t.c)
• 2 tbsp. Iru (rinsed) or 1 okpei
• 1 small Onion
• 3 tbsp. Crayfish
• Salt to taste
Step 1: Remove the green stalk from the garden eggs and rinse. In a medium sized pot, boil the garden eggs whole for about 10 minutes till soft. This is done to soften it just enough to make blending easier. Chop the boiled garden eggs into smaller pieces and blend roughly with a little water. Some people like it smooth while others like it chunky. If you are not using a blender, you could pound the garden eggs into a smooth paste. To do this, boil the garden eggs further till the flesh swells and pops out of the skin. Peel the skin off and pound till smooth – Set this aside.
Step 2: Heat up the oil in a small sized empty pot till it loosens up a little. Add the chopped onion, and Iru. Stir fry for about 5 minutes.
Step 3: Gently pour the ground garden eggs, smoked fish, crayfish, crushed seasoning, pepper and salt into the pot. Stir and leave to cook for about 10-15 minutes before turning off the burner.
Serve with Boiled, roasted or fried yam or plantain
Engagement Roast Chicken
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Remove and discard the chicken giblets. Pat the outside dry. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Cut the lemons in quarters, place 2 quarters in the chicken along with the garlic and reserve the rest of the lemons. Brush the outside of the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle the chicken liberally with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. Place the chicken in a small (11 by 14-inch) roasting pan. (If the pan is too large, the onions will burn.) Place the reserved lemons and the sliced onions in a large bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Pour the mixture around the chicken in the pan.
Roast the chicken for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and a thigh. Remove the chicken to a platter, cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 10 minutes while you prepare the sauce, leaving the lemons and onions in the pan.
Place the pan on top of the stove and turn the heat to medium-high. Add the wine and stir with a wooden spoon to scrape up the brown bits. Add the stock and sprinkle on the flour, stirring constantly for a minute, until the sauce thickens. Add any juices that collect under the chicken. Carve the chicken onto a platter and serve with the lemons, onions, and warm sauce.
Smoky Black Bean Burgers
Prep 10 m
Cook 10 m
Ready In 55 m
- Mix ground flax seed and water together in a small bowl. Let sit to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Mix flax mixture, black beans, panko bread crumbs, garlic, salt, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke together in a bowl until combined. Form batter into 4 patties; arrange on a plate. Chill in refrigerator until set, about 30 minutes.
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray; place patties in skillet over medium heat. Cook until browned, about 5 minutes per side.
Source : allrecipes.com