For coconut jollof rice
Ingredients for Nigerian Coconut Rice:
- 500g Parboiled Rice (Here’s how to Parboil Rice)
- 150ml Tomato Stew
- 100ml Coconut Milk(Here’s how to make extract coconut milk from whole coconut)
- 100 ml Chicken/ Beef stock or plain water
- 1 medium sized Onion bulb
- Ground Crayfish(optional)
- 2 Stock cubes/stock powder/ Seasoning of choice
- Pepper (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
Preparations Before cooking the Nigerian Coconut Rice:
A. If you don’t have the canned coconut milk, here’s an easy method on How to Extract Coconut Milk from whole coconut.
Coconut oil can also be used in the absence of coconut milk.
B. Cook the chicken/beef, grill/fry and set aside;reserve the stock(liquid from cooking the meat)
C. If you don’t have tomato stew, Prepare it by following the directions on this link on How to cook Tomato stew.
D. Now wash and Parboil the white rice and leave to drain in a colander /sieve.Here’s how to Parboil Rice for Nigerian Rice Recipes.
E. Grind the crayfish(if using) and set aside
Now to Cook the Coconut Rice
1. In a large pot, pour in the tomato stew, meat stock and the extracted coconut milk. Leave to boil for 5 minutes.
2. Pour the parboiled rice into the pot, add the chopped onions, ground crayfish, stock cubes, pepper and salt to taste. Make sure that the liquid in the pot is at the same level as the rice in the pot, if not, add some more to top it up.
3. Now cover and leave the rice to cook on medium heat until the liquid in the pot is dried up.
Tip: High heat will make the rice burn before it is cooked, while low heat will make the rice soggy and will also burn at the bottom.
4. The rice is properly done when it is tender and there is no more liquid in the pot.
Serve and enjoy.