Plantain Pie Ingredients
For 12 Plantain Pies, you’ll need:
For the dough
- 1 over-ripe plantain
- 300g/10.5oz. plain flour (all purpose flour)
- 125g/4.4oz. butter (NOT margarine)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the filling
Any food item that goes well with plantains (especially fried plantains) will make a great filling for Plantain Pies. That is why I called them Plantain Pies and not Yam Pies. So feel free to use beans porridge, egg omelette etc as your filling.
- 200g/7oz. white puna yam
- 2 eggs
- 1 onion
- A small piece of red pepper
- Salt (to taste)
Tools you’ll need to bake Plantain Pies
- 3.75-inch (9.5cm) cookie cutter
- 3-inch (7.5cm) cookie cutter
- Muffin tray with 12 cups
- Oven, sieve, spatula, brush, rolling pin etc
More information about the ingredients
- Baking powder is optional because I made this pie with and without baking powder, I did not notice any difference in the taste and texture.
- Set some butter aside for greasing the muffin tray cups.
Before you prepare Plantain Pie
- Peel and cook the yam till well done then set aside to cool down completely.
- Cut the onions and red pepper into small pieces.
- When the yam has cooled down, cut into small cubes.
- Peel the over ripe plantain and mash with a fork. Set aside.
- Sift half of the flour, the salt and the baking powder into a clean dry bowl.
- Cut the butter into small pieces. Add them to the flour and mix till the butter is incorporated into the flour.
- Add the mashed plantain. Mix with a spatula till as smooth as possible. You will notice that it is quite sticky.
- Start adding the second half of the flour in small quantities, mix with the plantain and flour dough, add more, mix … till you get a non-sticky but soft ball of dough. If you do not achieve this with the quantity of flour I stated, add more flour till you get that. Ideally the quantity of flour you’ll need depends on how overripe your plantain is.
- When you are happy, cover the ball of dough with aluminium foil and leave to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Break the eggs and beat very well.
- Add salt and stir.
- Add the pieces of boiled yam, red pepper and onions. Stir very well and set aside. It should look like this.
Roll, Cut, Fill and Bake
- Grease the insides of the muffin tray cups with butter.
- When the dough has rested for about 10 minutes, knead it a few more times.
- Roll it out on a flat surface to a 3mm thickness.
- Cut the rolled out dough with the 3.75-inch cookie cutter and use the cut out dough to line the cups in the muffin tray. You can make several cuts at a time.
- Repeat the process till you have lined the 12 cups of the muffin tray.
- Scoop the filling into each of the cups. Leave some egg in the bowl; you’ll need it for glazing the pies.
- Roll out the remaining dough and cut with the 3-inch cookie cutter. Use these to cover each of the filled cups.
- Using a brush, rub the top of the pies with the leftover egg from the filling. This gives the pie a golden brown look when done.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Normal oven: 200C (400F)
- Fan Oven: 180C (350F)
- Gas mark number: 6
Serve with a chilled drink. These pies preserve well in the freezer and will still be fresh for up to 1 month. To use, bring out from the freezer, leave to defrost on your kitchen counter for a few hours. Warm it up in the microwave oven for about 2 minutes at medium heat. Perfect!
Recipe from Kelewele
Kelewele is a Ghanaian delicacy of fried and spicy plantain that is all the rage. It is sometimes served with rice and a stew or peanuts, or alone as a dessert or snack. It is also popular for breakfast.
1 teaspoon crushed fresh ginger
1 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
The juice of a lemon
Oil for frying
Peel and cut plantains into small cubes and mix with lemon juice.
Mix the spices and roll the plantain cubes into this mixture. Allow to stand for at least 10 minutes.
Heat the oil. Fry cubes in hot oil until golden brown. Make sure the cubes do not stick together.
Drop and sprinkle with salt and dry parsley. Serve hot.
Recipe of Pancakes
Ingredients / for 4 people
250g of flour
1/2 l of milk
1 pinch salt
2 tablespoons sugar
50 g of melted butter
The best recipe for pancake batter! – Step 1
1Pour the flour in a bowl with salt and sugar. Make a well in the middle and pour the eggs lightly beaten with a fork.
The best recipe for pancake batter! – 2nd step
Start gently stirring the flour with a wooden spoon.
The best recipe for pancake batter! – Step 3
When the mixture becomes thick, add the cold milk little by little, you can use a whisk but always gently to avoid lumps.
The best recipe for pancake batter! – Step 4
2When all the milk is mixed, the dough must be fairly fluid, if it appears too thick, add in little milk.
The best recipe for pancake batter! – Step 5
Then add the melted butter, mix well.
Cook the pancakes in a hot pan (no need for fat, it is already in the dough). Pour a small ladle of dough into the frying pan, make a rotating motion to distribute the dough over the whole surface, lay on the fire and when the turn of the pancake is colored clear, it is time to turn it over. Let cook about a minute on this side and the pancake is ready. Repeat until the dough is depleted.
Flour: 240 g
For the mold: 20 g
Chemical yeast: 0.5 sachet
Butter softened: 240 g
For the mold: 20 g
Sugar powder: 240 g
Salt: 1 pinch
Calories = High
1 Preheat the oven to 180 ° C (6). Whisk the butter with the powdered sugar and salt until an ointment is obtained.
2 Incorporate the eggs one by one, then the flour and baking powder together.
3 Butter and flour a rectangular cake pan, pour in the dough, then smooth the surface with a spatula. Bake for about 50 minutes: the blade of a knife planted in the heart of the cake must come out dry.
4 Let cool in the mold, out of the oven, then unmold and cut into parts.