Ingredients for Potato and Fish Porridge
- 2 medium Irish potatoes (spuds)
- 1 fish cut
- 1 small red onion
- 2 tablespoons red palm oil
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Seasoning cube (to taste)
- Leafy spinach: for garnish (alternative: garden egg leaves)
Notes about the ingredients
- Use your favourite fish for this meal: tilapia, gilt head bream fish, catfish, conger eel, mackerel (a.k.a. titus in Nigeria). Do not use bony fish when preparing this for kids.
- When preparing this for kids less than one year old, do not add salt, pepper and seasoning cubes.
- You can use other types of peppers: habanero pepper (atarodo) or dry pepper.
- If you are outside Nigeria, use leafy spinach for the garnish, in Nigeria, use garden egg leaves.
Before you cook Potato and Fish Porridge
- Peel, wash and cut the potato into small cubes.
- Dice the onion.
- Wash and slice the spinach or the garden egg leaves and set aside.
- Grind the black pepper or the habanero pepper (atarodo) or dry pepper.
- Place the potatoes in a pot, pour water to cover them slightly, add the pepper and diced onions. If using seasoning cubes, crush and sprinkle on top of the ingredients and stir.
- Place the fish on top, cover the pot and start cooking on medium heat.
- Once it boils, gently turn the fish on the other side to ensure that it cooks well.
- After about 3 minutes, gently remove the fish and set aside.
- Add palm oil and salt to taste.
- Stir cover and cook on high heat till the water surrounding the potatoes starts to thicken (form a porridge).
- When the potato is well cooked, add the fish back in the pot, stir gently and turn off the heat.
Spice Crusted Sweet Potato Wedges (Tested)
3 lb. sweet potatoes or yams, unpeeled, sliced into wedges
3 tbsp. oil
1 tbsp. sesame seeds, toasted
1 tbsp. nigella seeds (or poppy seeds)
1 tbsp. dried garlic flakes
1 tbsp. dried onion flakes
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. curry powder
Preheat the oven to 425.
Cut the sweet potatoes into wedges, about 6 to 8 per potato, depending on the size and shape of your potato. Put them into a large bowl and drizzle them with the oil.
Mix all the rest of the seeds and spices together in a small bowl. Toss this mixture over the potatoes and mix all together.
Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, turning once during the baking time.
Karen Mintzias 1 Leg of lamb; boned, cubed*
5 Baby lamb sweetbreads, opt.*
4 Baby lamb kidneys, opt. *
1/4 c Olive oil
Lemon’s juice 1/4 c Wine
1/4 ts Thyme
1/4 ts Oregano
1/4 ts Rosemary
1 Bay leaf; crushed
2 Garlic cloves; crushed
Freshly ground black pepper 8 Bay leaves; cut
Firm tomatoes (opt); 1/4’d Green peppers (opt); cubed Salt Oregano and lemon quarters *Note: Lamb meat(s) should be cut into cubes the size of walnuts. Place the lamb, sweetbreads, and kidney cubes in a large non-aluminum bowl. Make a marinade of the oil, lemon juice, wine, herbs, garlic, and pepper and pour over the meat. Marinate in the refrigerator, preferably overnight, or for at least 3 hours. Thread the meat on long skewers alternating the bay leaves with the tomatoes and peppers, if desired. Grill over hot coals or broil 6 inches from the heat, brushing with the remaining marinade and turning frequently. Season with salt and pepper, then remove the meat from the skewers to a warm platter and crush oregano over the top. Garnish with lemon quarters and serve hot.
Source : cookdiary.net
- 2 tablespoon sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 can KOO Chickpea, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Handful parsley, chopped, or 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 egg, beaten
Large pan, large mixing bowl, fork/potato masher
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pan, then fry the onion and garlic over a low heat for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add into a large mixing bowl with the chickpeas and spices then mash together with a fork or potato masher until the chickpeas are totally broken down.
- Stir in the parsley or dried herbs, with seasoning to taste. Add the egg then mash the mixture together with your hands.
- Mould the mix into 6 balls and flatten into patties. Heat the remaining oil in the pan, then fry the falafels on a medium heat for 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown and firm. Serve hot or cold with couscous, pitta bread or salad.