- All beef hot dogs
- Hot dog buns
- grated cheddar cheese
- chopped green onions
- 2 to 3 pounds of leftover prime rib roast, cut in cubes
- ½ pound of smoked bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 bottle of beer (or substitute 12 ounces of low sodium beef stock)
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 1½ cups canned red kidney beans
- 1½ cups canned Romano beans
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 1 large roasted red pepper, peeled and diced small
- ½ to 1 whole jalapeño pepper finely minced (optional)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 5 tbsp chilli powder (more or less to taste)
- 2 tbsp chipotle powder
- 3 tbsp ground cumin
- 6 tbsp molasses
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy bottom pot. Toss in the garlic and onions and cook until softened.
- Next add the beer (or beef stock) and simmer for 5 minutes before adding the beans and the remainder of the ingredients except for the red peppers and fresh tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to minimum. Cover and very slowly simmer the chilli for 2 or more hours, stirring about every 15- 20 minutes. Alternatively you can cook this in the oven at 325 degrees F. I like to do it that way because you don’t have to tend it as much and it is much less likely to stick or burn to the bottom of the pot if you forget to stir it. A slow cooker is also an excellent choice for this recipe.
- Split the wieners down the middle and flat grill them or cook on a gas grill.
- Toast or steam the hot dog buns, whichever you prefer.
- Add the wiener to the bun, top with the chili and the shredded cheese.
- Place under the broiler on low for just a minute or so to melt the cheese before garnishing with the chopped green onions and serving.
- Add the fresh diced tomatoes, bacon and roasted red pepper in the final ½ hour. In the last 5 or 10 minutes add the leftover prime rib roast. Adding it last preserves the tenderness and moisture of the roast beef. Serve with the rest of the bacon sprinkled on top.
- For chili dogs, I recommend using large, plumper, ball park style wieners or frankfurters which are easier to split horizontally before grilling well on all sides. Place the grilled hot dogs on toasted hot dog rolls before topping with chilli and grated cheddar cheese. Pop under the broiler for a minute to melt the cheese before serving.
Recipe from Kelewele
Kelewele is a Ghanaian delicacy of fried and spicy plantain that is all the rage. It is sometimes served with rice and a stew or peanuts, or alone as a dessert or snack. It is also popular for breakfast.
1 teaspoon crushed fresh ginger
1 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
The juice of a lemon
Oil for frying
Peel and cut plantains into small cubes and mix with lemon juice.
Mix the spices and roll the plantain cubes into this mixture. Allow to stand for at least 10 minutes.
Heat the oil. Fry cubes in hot oil until golden brown. Make sure the cubes do not stick together.
Drop and sprinkle with salt and dry parsley. Serve hot.
Recipe of Pancakes
Ingredients / for 4 people
250g of flour
1/2 l of milk
1 pinch salt
2 tablespoons sugar
50 g of melted butter
The best recipe for pancake batter! – Step 1
1Pour the flour in a bowl with salt and sugar. Make a well in the middle and pour the eggs lightly beaten with a fork.
The best recipe for pancake batter! – 2nd step
Start gently stirring the flour with a wooden spoon.
The best recipe for pancake batter! – Step 3
When the mixture becomes thick, add the cold milk little by little, you can use a whisk but always gently to avoid lumps.
The best recipe for pancake batter! – Step 4
2When all the milk is mixed, the dough must be fairly fluid, if it appears too thick, add in little milk.
The best recipe for pancake batter! – Step 5
Then add the melted butter, mix well.
Cook the pancakes in a hot pan (no need for fat, it is already in the dough). Pour a small ladle of dough into the frying pan, make a rotating motion to distribute the dough over the whole surface, lay on the fire and when the turn of the pancake is colored clear, it is time to turn it over. Let cook about a minute on this side and the pancake is ready. Repeat until the dough is depleted.
Flour: 240 g
For the mold: 20 g
Chemical yeast: 0.5 sachet
Butter softened: 240 g
For the mold: 20 g
Sugar powder: 240 g
Salt: 1 pinch
Calories = High
1 Preheat the oven to 180 ° C (6). Whisk the butter with the powdered sugar and salt until an ointment is obtained.
2 Incorporate the eggs one by one, then the flour and baking powder together.
3 Butter and flour a rectangular cake pan, pour in the dough, then smooth the surface with a spatula. Bake for about 50 minutes: the blade of a knife planted in the heart of the cake must come out dry.
4 Let cool in the mold, out of the oven, then unmold and cut into parts.