For the Roast lamb :
Ingredients – Serves 10 Adults
- 1 boneless half leg of lamb, trimmed – around 1½ kg / 3½lb
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 125ml / ¼ pint of water
- 2 large cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 dessertspoons of root ginger, chopped
- Grated rind of a small lemon
- 2 tablespoons of parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4
- Put the garlic, ginger, lemon rind, parsley, mint and rosemary in a food processor. Switch on for a minute or two until everything is finely chopped
- Switch on again and add the oil slowly until you have a bright green mixture
- Set the mixture aside. If you don’t have a food processor, just finely chop everything with a knife
- Place the joint in a roasting pan with the onion and water, put in the oven and allow 20 to 25 minutes per ½kg / 1lb
- 30 minutes before the end of cooking time remove from the oven; spread the herby mixture over the joint. Return to the oven and finish cooking
- Keep an eye on the water level and top it up if necessary
- When the lamb is cooked remove from the pan and keep warm. Discard the onion and remove excess fat
- Boil up the pan juices and reduce to a syrup, this will make a rich, tasty sauce. This will take 2 to 3 minutes
- Season and serve
Serve the lamb with potatoes, carrots and parsnips
Prep 15 m
Cook 1 h 20 m
Ready In 1 h 35 m
- Place pumpkin seeds in a blender and blend for 30 to 40 seconds or until mixture is a powdery paste. Set aside.
- Wash beef and cut into bite-size cubes. Season with salt. In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Add beef and saute for 3 to 5 minutes or until brown but not cooked through.
- Place tomatoes, onions, and pepper in a blender and blend for about 30 seconds or until smooth. Add tomato mixture to meat, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover. Cook for 40 to 50 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Add tomato sauce, water, and shrimp and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add spinach and ground pumpkin seeds and continue to simmer 10 minutes more.
Zimbabwean Chicken and Vegetable Soup
Prep 30 m
Cook 1 h 30 m
Ready In 2 h
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot; cook and stir the onion in the hot oil until translucent, about 5 minutes. Whisk 1/2 cup of vegetable stock and the peanut butter into the onions until the mixture is smooth. Beat in remaining vegetable stock, diced tomatoes with their liquid, and crushed red pepper flakes; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and cook at a simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cabbage, sweet potato, carrot, and turnip; simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 30 more minutes. Stir in the okra and chicken and simmer until the okra is tender, about 30 additional minutes.
African Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup
Prep 20 m
Cook 55 m
Ready In 1 h 15 m
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute the onion 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Mix in the garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and cloves. Stir in the tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrot, and continue to cook and stir about 5 minutes.
- Pour water into the saucepan, and season the mixture with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove the soup mixture from heat. In a food processor or blender, blend the soup and peanuts until almost smooth. Season with cayenne pepper. Return to the saucepan. Whisk in the peanut butter, and cook until heated through. Serve warm topped with fresh cilantro.