1 (14 ounce) package spring roll wrappers
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds ground beef 1 leek,
chopped 2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 small onion,
finely chopped 1 clove garlic,
minced 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon water, or as needed
1 quart oil for frying
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add onions, leek and garlic, and cook, stirring until the onions are transparent.
Add ground beef, and cook until about halfway done.
Season with cumin, cardamom, salt and pepper.
Mix well, and continue cooking until beef has browned.
In a small dish or cup, mix together the flour and water to make a thin paste.
Using one wrapper at a time, fold into the shape of a cone. Fill the cone with the meat mixture, close the top, and seal with the paste.
Repeat until wraps or filling are used up.
Heat the oil to 365 degrees F ( 170 degrees C) in a deep-fryer or deep heavy pot.
There should be enough oil to submerge the wraps. Fry the Sambusa a few at a time until golden brown.
Remove carefully to drain on paper towels.
African Coffee Biscuits
Prep : 30 m
Cook : 10 m
Ready In : 40 m
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 2 baking sheets.
- Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl; beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Stir boiling water and coffee powder in a small bowl until coffee is dissolved. Stir in apricot jam. Mix into the creamed butter mixture.
- Stir milk and baking soda in a small bowl until baking soda is dissolved. Add vanilla extract. Stir into the creamed butter mixture.
- Combine cake flour and salt in a bowl; add to the creamed butter mixture. Stir well until a dough forms.
- Fill a cookie press with dough. Pipe dough onto the baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
Source : allrecipes.com
South African Milk Tart
Prep : 15 m
Cook : 20 m
Ready In : 1 h 5 m
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Combine 1/2 cup margarine and 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl; beat with an electric mixer on low speed until creamy. Add 2 cups flour, 1 egg, baking powder, and salt; mix well until dough comes together.
- Press dough into bottom and sides of two 8-inch pie plates to form crusts.
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Combine milk and 1 teaspoon margarine in a saucepan over medium-low heat; bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Mix 1 1/2 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 2 1/2 teaspoons flour, cornstarch, and vanilla extract into a smooth paste in a bowl. Pour over hot milk in the saucepan.
- Return saucepan to medium heat and stir milk mixture until thick, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Divide milk mixture evenly between the cooled crusts. Sprinkle cinnamon on top. Cool until filling is set, about 30 minutes.
Source : allrecipes.com
Recipe for Chocolate Banana Bread
4 Ripe Bananas
9 tablespoon of Softened Butter
11/3 cups of Sugar
A pinch of Salt
2 2/3 cups of all purpose Flour
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 cup of semi-sweet Chocolate chips
1/2 cup of Coconut flakes
Combine the wet ingredients in a bowl.
Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl except the coconut flakes and chocolate chips.
Pre-heat your oven to 375F.
Combine both wet and dry ingredients and beat till the mixture is smooth.
Grease your baking pan with some oil and pour in mixture into baking pan. Top it with the chocolate chips and coconut flakes.
Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes.
Serve warm with tea or coffee