- 1 yellow onion $0.37
- 2 cloves garlic $0.16
- 2 cups brown lentils $1.36
- 1 sweet potato (about ¾-1lb.) $0.98
- 2 carrots $0.22
- 3 Tbsp curry powder (hot or mild) $0.45
- ¼ tsp ground cloves (optional) $0.03
- 15oz. can petite diced tomatoes $0.65
- 15oz. can tomato sauce $0.99
- 3 cups vegetable broth $0.39*
- 14oz. can coconut milk (full fat) $2.47
- 10 cups cooked rice $0.99
- ½ red onion $0.40
- ½ bunch cilantro or green onions $0.40
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Peel the sweet potato and carrots. Dice the sweet potato (1/4-1/2 inch cubes) and slice the carrots.
- Add the onion, garlic, sweet potato, carrots, lentils, curry powder, cloves, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and vegetable broth to the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for four hours or low for 7-8 hours. Once cooked, the lentils should be tender and most of the liquid should be absorbed.
- Stir the can of coconut milk into the lentils. Taste and adjust the salt or other spices as needed (the amount of salt needed will depend on the type of broth used and the salt content of the canned tomatoes).
- To serve, add 1 cup cooked rice to a bowl followed by 1 cup of the lentil mixture. Top with finely diced red onion and fresh cilantro.
STEP BY STEP PHOTOS
Dice one onion (it’s under all that stuff) and mince two cloves of garlic. Peel one sweet potato (3/4-1 lb.) and peel two carrots. Dice the sweet potato and slice the carrots. Add the onion, garlic, sweet potato, and carrots to the slow cooker, along with 2 cups uncooked brown lentils.
Also add one 15oz. can of petite diced tomatoes, a 15oz. can of tomato sauce, 3 Tbsp curry powder (mild or hot–your preference), and 1/4 tsp ground cloves. I’ve decided that I really like cloves in my curry, but if you’re not a clove person you can leave it out.
This is the curry powder I use, BTW. It’s just something I picked up at the grocery store, but it has pretty good potency. Curry powders can vary quite a bit from brand to brand in both flavor and potency, so you might have to experiment to find one that you like. I like to buy mild curry powder and then just add cayenne to dishes when I want things spicy.
Finally, add 3 cups vegetable broth to the slow cooker and give everything a good stir.
Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for four hours or low for 7-8 hours. If your slow cooker runs extra hot or doesn’t hold in moisture well, keep an eye on the cooker to make sure the lentils are not drying out. If they begin to look dry or burned on the edges, add more water. After cooking the lentils should be tender and most of the broth absorbed.
Stir in one 14oz. can of full-fat coconut milk. Give the lentils a taste and adjust the salt or other spices if needed. The amount of salt needed will depend on the salt content of your vegetable broth and canned tomatoes. Mine had plenty of salt, so I added none. If you find the lentils to be bland at this point, add a 1/2 tsp of salt or so to see if that makes the flavors pop.
To serve the lentils, add 1 cup cooked rice to a bowl, followed by 1 cup of the coconut curried lentils. Top with finely diced red onion and fresh cilantro (or green onions if you’re not a cilantro person). Other optional toppings include: plain yogurt, a squeeze of fresh lime, or thinly sliced jalapeños.
Malawian recipes: grilled chambo fish
Add olive oil to a saucepan. Then add turmeric, ginger, sugar and raisins. Put on a low heat to dissolve the sugar and infuse the spices. Remove from the heat, add coconut milk and whisk rapidly. Add a tablespoon of soy sauce and a dash of lemon juice. If the sauce seems a little thin, thicken with a little roux.
Salad Muffins Recipe for Pizza
Muffin salty pizza way!
Ingredients for 11 pieces:
180 gr of flour
1 sachet of baking powder
150 gr of white ham
10 cl of olive oil
10 cl of milk
100 gr of shredded
3 eggs salt and pepper (is not that a spice ???)
2 fresh tomatoes cut into small herbs de provence
some black olives
Preheat the oven to 180 ° C In a dish mix the flour and the yeast then make a well. In another dish beat the eggs with milk, olive oil and then pour this mixture into the flour. Mix then add about 50 grams of grated, then cut the ham into small pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the dough into muffin molds and place on top a few dices of fresh tomatoes, grated, a pinch of Provence herbs and a black olive in the center. Bake 25 minutes (heat ventilated fifteen minutes then normal heat)
Fried fish, vegetable salad
For a table of 4
In your cart :
4 medium fish –
1 tsp chili – salt – pepper –
1 tbsp strong mustard –
1 fillet of vinegar –
1/2 cube broth –
2 tablespoons olive oil –
500g of potato –
2 tomatoes –
250g of onions –
2 feet of salad –
1/2 bunch of Chinese parsley –
1 tbsp honey 2 eggs
How to do :
Clean the fish and draw regular furrows.
Mix salt and chili, coat and cook in a frying bath.
Wash and cut salad, parsley.
Slice the onion, marinate a portion with mustard, vinegar, broth, honey, a pinch of salt and pepper.
Mix with tomatoes and potatoes cooked with water and cut.
Decorate with the boiled eggs.