2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped onions
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 ½ pounds extra lean ground beef
¼ cup dried breadcrumbs
½ cup raisins
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons mango chutney
1 tablespoon apricot jam or orange marmalade
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ cups light cream
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until softened. Add ginger, curry powder, turmeric and sugar, and cook until fragrant. Add ground beef and sauté until it starts to lose its pinkness. Add breadcrumbs, raisins, vinegar, tomato paste, chutney and apricot jam, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring for 5 to 7 minutes or until the flavours have come together. Taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper or more spice according to your own taste. Transfer to an 8” x 8” greased baking or casserole dish.
Beat together the eggs, milk, salt and lemon zest and pour over the meat mixture.
Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top has set and has turned a lovely golden colour.
3 cups water
2 cups white basmati rice
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
3 1-inch pieces cinnamon stick
1 cup raisins
1 teaspoon sea salt
Rinse the rice in a strainer in cold running water until the water runs clear. Drain well in the strainer.
Combine the water, rice, turmeric, cinnamon sticks and salt in a pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the raisins. Cover and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until the rice is tender. Check for seasoning and add more salt if necessary.
Prep 15 m
Cook 1 h 20 m
Ready In 1 h 35 m
- Place pumpkin seeds in a blender and blend for 30 to 40 seconds or until mixture is a powdery paste. Set aside.
- Wash beef and cut into bite-size cubes. Season with salt. In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Add beef and saute for 3 to 5 minutes or until brown but not cooked through.
- Place tomatoes, onions, and pepper in a blender and blend for about 30 seconds or until smooth. Add tomato mixture to meat, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover. Cook for 40 to 50 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Add tomato sauce, water, and shrimp and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add spinach and ground pumpkin seeds and continue to simmer 10 minutes more.
Zimbabwean Chicken and Vegetable Soup
Prep 30 m
Cook 1 h 30 m
Ready In 2 h
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot; cook and stir the onion in the hot oil until translucent, about 5 minutes. Whisk 1/2 cup of vegetable stock and the peanut butter into the onions until the mixture is smooth. Beat in remaining vegetable stock, diced tomatoes with their liquid, and crushed red pepper flakes; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and cook at a simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cabbage, sweet potato, carrot, and turnip; simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 30 more minutes. Stir in the okra and chicken and simmer until the okra is tender, about 30 additional minutes.
African Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup
Prep 20 m
Cook 55 m
Ready In 1 h 15 m
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute the onion 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Mix in the garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and cloves. Stir in the tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrot, and continue to cook and stir about 5 minutes.
- Pour water into the saucepan, and season the mixture with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove the soup mixture from heat. In a food processor or blender, blend the soup and peanuts until almost smooth. Season with cayenne pepper. Return to the saucepan. Whisk in the peanut butter, and cook until heated through. Serve warm topped with fresh cilantro.