- 1kg of pastilla leaves
- 1 kg of ground and ground almonds
- 250 g of sugar
- 150 g of melted butter
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of orange flower water
- 1 teaspoon of gum arabic powder
1 Sprinkle the almonds and dry them in a clean cloth overnight, incorporate them with the powdered sugar, grind them in an electric mill.
2 Mix the almond mixture, cinnamon, gum arabic, orange blossom water and melted butter in a bowl, knead well until a homogeneous paste is obtained.
3 Form this pastry balls of the size of cherry.
4 Cut with a pair of scissors pastilla leaves in the shape of rectangle of dimension of 7cm on 20cm.
5 Place the cut sheet on the table, put the almond ball at one end then fold or roll to form a triangle, glue the ends with the egg yolk, making sure to close the stuffing, continue Until the stuffing is exhausted.
6 Fry the briouats in a bath of hot oil and soak them warm in the honey, drain them.
7 Serve cold.
- Multigrain bread slices – 4, edges trimmed
- Almonds – 12
- Sweetened peanut butter – 2 tbsp
- Paneer or cottage cheese – ¼ cup, crumbled
- Nesquik or cocoa powder – 2 tbsp
- Butter – 2 tbsp, melted
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium to high heat.
- Grease the pan with 1 tsp melted butter.
- Place two bread slices on the pan and toast until both sides turn crisp and brown. Sprinkle butter now and then.
- Repeat with rest of the bread slices as well.
- Add ½ tbsp of butter to a small pan and allow it to just heat up.
- Add almonds to heated butter and roast on low to medium flame.
- Add the cocoa powder with the peanut butter and mix well until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions.
- Apply and spread one portion each of the mixture on each of the bread slices.
- Halve the cottage cheese mixture and sprinkle on two of the bread slices.
- Halve the almonds and sprinkle on the top of the cheese.
- Cover these slices with the slices spread with peanut butter.
- Serve immediately with apple and milk.
– 2 cups wholegrain flour
– 1/2 cup 100% cocoa powder
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 cup raw cane sugar
– 2 ripe bananas (mashed)
– 1/4 cup raisins
– 1/4 cup chopped almonds
– 1/2 cup vegan margarine (i.e. plant-based margarine)
– 1 tsp almond extract / vanilla essence
No big deal to this at all. Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and give it a good mix.
Pour into a loaf tin lined with greaseproof paper and top with a few chopped almonds to make it look all rustic and home-made.
Bake in a pre-heated oven (gas mark 6) for 20-25 min. Insert a cocktail stick to check if it’s cooked all the way through. If it comes out clean then you’re good to go.
Leave to cool for about an hour before cutting into thick slices.