Prep 20 m
Cook 15 m
Ready In 35 m
- Mash the garlic, caraway seeds, and pinch of salt in a mortar and pestle or against the side of a mixing bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the chile peppers; cook and stir until the peppers have softened, about 5 minutes. Remove them from the skillet and set aside. Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet and cook the bell peppers and tomatoes until the peppers are soft and the tomatoes have begun to break down, about 5 more minutes. Add the tomato-bell pepper mixture to the hot peppers. Stir in the mashed garlic and caraway seeds. Spoon the vegetables onto plates or a serving platter.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet. Fry the eggs until the whites are set and the yolks are the desired consistency, about 2 to 3 minutes for runny yolks, 4 to 5 minutes for fully set yolks. Place the fried eggs on the vegetable mixture and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Tunisian Tuna Sandwich (Casse-Croûte Tunisien)
For the Tuna Sandwich :
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion, minced
- 1⁄2 small green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1 (15-oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes in juice, drained, crushed by hand
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 (8″) Portuguese or hero rolls
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, boiled until tender, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 medium ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 (5-oz). cans tuna in oil
- 1⁄2 cup pitted black olives
- 1⁄4 cup capers, rinsed and drained
- 4 pepperoncini peppers, drained, stemmed, and halved lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup harissa
Heat oil in a 10″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion, and pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 6 minutes. Add tomatoes and bay leaf, and cook, stirring, until sauce is thick and slightly reduced, about 3 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
Assemble the sandwiches: Split rolls horizontally, leaving them intact on one side. Divide tomato sauce among rolls, top with potatoes, cucumber, and tomato, and then tuna; top with olives, capers, and pepperoncini. Drizzle the top of each with harissa; halve sandwiches crosswise to serve.
Source : www.saveur.com