For the Tatale (Plantain Pancakes)
- 4 large overly ripe plantains, peeled
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 scallions chopped
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tbsp milk
- Mash the plantains with a potato masher in a large bowl until you reach a pureed consistency.
- Add the cornmeal, milk, salt, garlic, ginger, and cayenne pepper to the mashed plantains. Stir in the scallions until fully combined.
- Heat a skillet with 3 tablespoons of canola oil over medium heat.
- Use a medium sized ladle to pour the plantain batter into the skillet.
- Fry each side for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Makes 8-10 cakes.
- Serve immediately.