For about 8 to 10 glasses of thiakry
300g of thiakry in sachet
2 tablespoons butter
A handful of raisins
5 tablespoons orange blossom
1kg of white cheese (curd)
5 sachets of vanilla sugar
1 jar of unsweetened concentrated milk (about 400g)
Sugar: at will (I put about 8 tablespoons)
You can also add grated coconut. For the recipe, 3 tablespoons grated coconut should be enough.
1 pinch nutmeg (optional).
To prepare the thiacry you have three possibilities:
– Boil 40cl of water, and add in a container containing thiacry. Leave to stand for about 15 minutes until the water is completely absorbed and the thiacry grains soften.
– Place the thiacry in a bowl that can go to the microwave and add 40cl of water. Leave to cook for 10 to 15 minutes in a microwave. Add a little water and lengthen the cooking time if necessary. At the end of cooking the water must completely evaporate and the grains of thiacry must soften.
– Thoroughly wet the thiacry and set aside. Boil water in the pot of a cousscoussier. Add the wet thiacry to the cousscoussier. Leave to cook for about 15 minutes, until the beans are cooked (soft).
Once the thiacry is cooked, add the butter. Mix well. Add raisins, grated coconut and a pinch of nutmeg. Mix. Cover the thiacry with a light towel and set aside.
Prepare the milk sauce that accompanies the thiacry as follows.
In a large salad bowl, add the white cheese (soow in Wolof) or curd. Add powdered sugar (at will), vanilla sugar and orange blossom. Mix.
Add the concentrated milk, either in full, or just to get the consistency you want. About myself I put all the milk jug concentrated.
Mix well. Taste and add, if necessary, sugar, vanilla sugar, orange blossom, etc.
Cover the salad bowl and chill until ready to serve.
When serving, gradually add thiacry to the milk bowl until it has the desired consistency. Mix.
Serve in glasses or small bowls.
I added over some raisins just for presentation
African Coffee Biscuits
Prep : 30 m
Cook : 10 m
Ready In : 40 m
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 2 baking sheets.
- Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl; beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Stir boiling water and coffee powder in a small bowl until coffee is dissolved. Stir in apricot jam. Mix into the creamed butter mixture.
- Stir milk and baking soda in a small bowl until baking soda is dissolved. Add vanilla extract. Stir into the creamed butter mixture.
- Combine cake flour and salt in a bowl; add to the creamed butter mixture. Stir well until a dough forms.
- Fill a cookie press with dough. Pipe dough onto the baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
Source : allrecipes.com
South African Milk Tart
Prep : 15 m
Cook : 20 m
Ready In : 1 h 5 m
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Combine 1/2 cup margarine and 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl; beat with an electric mixer on low speed until creamy. Add 2 cups flour, 1 egg, baking powder, and salt; mix well until dough comes together.
- Press dough into bottom and sides of two 8-inch pie plates to form crusts.
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Combine milk and 1 teaspoon margarine in a saucepan over medium-low heat; bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Mix 1 1/2 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 2 1/2 teaspoons flour, cornstarch, and vanilla extract into a smooth paste in a bowl. Pour over hot milk in the saucepan.
- Return saucepan to medium heat and stir milk mixture until thick, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Divide milk mixture evenly between the cooled crusts. Sprinkle cinnamon on top. Cool until filling is set, about 30 minutes.
Source : allrecipes.com
Recipe for Chocolate Banana Bread
4 Ripe Bananas
9 tablespoon of Softened Butter
11/3 cups of Sugar
A pinch of Salt
2 2/3 cups of all purpose Flour
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 cup of semi-sweet Chocolate chips
1/2 cup of Coconut flakes
Combine the wet ingredients in a bowl.
Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl except the coconut flakes and chocolate chips.
Pre-heat your oven to 375F.
Combine both wet and dry ingredients and beat till the mixture is smooth.
Grease your baking pan with some oil and pour in mixture into baking pan. Top it with the chocolate chips and coconut flakes.
Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes.
Serve warm with tea or coffee