For 5 big scoops of vanilla ice cream, you will need:
- 500mls fresh milk (not evaporated milk)
- 250mls whipping cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 60g sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract or 1 vanilla pod
All these ingredients can be purchased from supermarkets all over the world. If you are in Nigeria, look for them in big department stores like Shoprite.
For decorating the ice cream
Utensils and Equipment
- 2 Bowls: 1 should be big enough to accommodate the ice cream mixture, the other should be big enough to accommodate the first bowl.
- Ice cream spoon (optional)
Before you make the Vanilla Ice Cream
- Make a large quantity of ice cubes. This will be used in cooling down the ice cream mixture in Step 8 below. I usually make at least 30 ice cubes for this.
- If you will be using a vanilla pod, cut it open by slicing along it to expose the seeds.
- Break the eggs and separate the yolk from the egg whites. For ice cream, we need only the egg yolks.
Directions for Vanilla Ice Cream
- Pour the fresh milk and the whipping cream into a sizeable pot.
- Add the vanilla extract. If you are using a vanilla pod, add everything (seeds and fibre) to the milk and whipping cream in the pot.
- Start cooking on medium heat.
- While waiting for that to boil, whisk the egg yolks very well. Add the sugar and mix well.
- Once the contents of the pot start to boil, reduce the heat to very low. If you added vanilla pods, remove the fibre from the milk at this time.
- Once you see that the milk is no longer foaming so much (due to the reduced heat), slowly add the egg yolks to the milk, whipping cream and vanilla mixture. Stir till well incorporated.
- Increase the heat to medium and stir continuously till you notice the solution thickening. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Once you are happy, place the ice cubes into the big bowl and add some water to them. Pour the ice cream mixture into the smaller bowl and place this bowl into the ice water bath. Stir the ice cream mixture continuously (with a spatula) till it cools down completely. You may need to watch the video below to see how I did this.
- Place the bowl containing the ice cream mixture in the freezer. After 30 minutes, bring it out, stir very well with a spatula and place it back for another half an hour. Then bring it out and stir again. Repeat the process till a creamy solid is formed. It is important to stir very often because this prevents ice from forming in the ice cream. Depending on your freezer, this process takes between 3 and 5 hours.
- Once you are happy with the texture of the ice cream, serve and decorate with honey, caramel and/or fruits.
- If you have any left overs, put in a container, cover and place in your freezer till whenever. When you take it out of the freezer, it may appear rock solid unlike the ice cream purchased in the shops. All you have to do is leave it on your kitchen counter for 5 to 7 minutes or till it softens to ice cream texture before serving.
Smores Bars 😋😋😍
|8||oz||quick crescent dinner rolls|
|6||oz||chocolate chips, semi-sweet|
|10||each||marshamallows, cut in half|
|Heat oven to 375 degrees. Unroll dough into 2 long rectangles. Place in ungreased 13×9 inch pan; press dough over bottom, sealing perforations well. Sprinkle chips evenly over dough. Place marshmallow halves over chips, cut-side-down, in five rows of four.|
Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool about 15 minutes. Cut in squares around marshmallows.
Chocolate crackle cake Recipe
- 75g (3oz) cocoa powder
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300g (10oz) self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 400g (13oz) caster sugar
- 50ml (2fl oz) sunflower oil
- 250g (80z) unsalted butter, softened
For the honeycomb
- 1 tsp oil or butter, to grease
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- 5 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the salted buttercream
- 300g (10oz) salted butter
- 600g (1lb 10oz) icing sugar
- 3 tbsp salted caramel sauce
- 100g (3 1/2oz) salted caramel sauce
- 1 x 140g box salted caramel truffles
- 1 x 37g bag Maltesers
Thiacry yogurt with millet
For about 8 to 10 glasses of thiakry
300g of thiakry in sachet
2 tablespoons butter
A handful of raisins
5 tablespoons orange blossom
1kg of white cheese (curd)
5 sachets of vanilla sugar
1 jar of unsweetened concentrated milk (about 400g)
Sugar: at will (I put about 8 tablespoons)
You can also add grated coconut. For the recipe, 3 tablespoons grated coconut should be enough.
1 pinch nutmeg (optional).
To prepare the thiacry you have three possibilities:
– Boil 40cl of water, and add in a container containing thiacry. Leave to stand for about 15 minutes until the water is completely absorbed and the thiacry grains soften.
– Place the thiacry in a bowl that can go to the microwave and add 40cl of water. Leave to cook for 10 to 15 minutes in a microwave. Add a little water and lengthen the cooking time if necessary. At the end of cooking the water must completely evaporate and the grains of thiacry must soften.
– Thoroughly wet the thiacry and set aside. Boil water in the pot of a cousscoussier. Add the wet thiacry to the cousscoussier. Leave to cook for about 15 minutes, until the beans are cooked (soft).
Once the thiacry is cooked, add the butter. Mix well. Add raisins, grated coconut and a pinch of nutmeg. Mix. Cover the thiacry with a light towel and set aside.
Prepare the milk sauce that accompanies the thiacry as follows.
In a large salad bowl, add the white cheese (soow in Wolof) or curd. Add powdered sugar (at will), vanilla sugar and orange blossom. Mix.
Add the concentrated milk, either in full, or just to get the consistency you want. About myself I put all the milk jug concentrated.
Mix well. Taste and add, if necessary, sugar, vanilla sugar, orange blossom, etc.
Cover the salad bowl and chill until ready to serve.
When serving, gradually add thiacry to the milk bowl until it has the desired consistency. Mix.
Serve in glasses or small bowls.
I added over some raisins just for presentation