Step 1: Set up
Gather your ingredients for the seven vegetable couscous made in honour of Algeria’s opening World Cup game against Belgium.
Serves 4-6 hands
60ml olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
4 carrots, peeled and chopped into 3cm chunks
2 turnips, peeled and chopped into 3cm chunks
1/2 head of cabbage, chopped into 3cm pieces
470ml water plus 1400ml boiling water
2 Courgette (zucchini), chopped into 3cm chunks
1 squash butternut, peeled and chopped into – 3cm chunks
240g (1 can) chickpeas, drained
Salt and pepper to season
1 bunch of coriander, chopped
7 vegetable couscous – Algeria
Algeria didn’t reach full satisfaction against Belgium in their World Cup battle; putting up a well-organised fight, they lacked the final punch, much like this seven vegetable couscous (full disclosure!).
There are 11 steps and 11 pictures in the reppic – Epic Recipe in Pictures – to make this very simple, super-tasty vegetable couscous full of nutrition and goodness.
Full disclosure – this recipe, though easy to pull together for those in a rush, lacked the full depth and punch to do justice to Maghreb cuisine, needing fuller-tasting ingredients and spices to win this game, always going to be a tough one against the land of gourmet that is Belgium.
If you don’t want to take our word for it, give it a shot and let us know what you think, or better still, advise on any better recipe you know of in the comments .
Approximate time 50 minutes to 1 hour -10 minutes preparing the vegetables and 40- 50 minutes cooking time.
Algerian Bouzgene Berber Bread with Roasted Pepper Sauce
Prep 20 m
Cook 20 m
Ready In,40 m
- Preheat your oven’s broiler. Place red bell peppers and tomatoes on a baking sheet, and roast under the broiler for about 8 minutes, turning occasionally. This should blacken the skin and help it peel off more easily. Cool, then scrape the skins off of the tomatoes and peppers, and place them in a large bowl. Remove cores and seeds from the bell peppers.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the jalapenos and garlic, and cook until tender, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and transfer the garlic and jalapeno to the bowl with the tomatoes and red peppers. Using two sharp steak knives (one in each hand), cut up the tomatoes and peppers to a coarse and soupy consistency. Stir, and set sauce aside.
- Place the semolina in a large bowl, and stir in salt and 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Gradually add water while mixing and squeezing with your hand until the dough holds together without being sticky or dry, and molds easily with the hand. Divide into 6 pieces and form into balls.
- For each round, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Roll out dough one round at a time, to no thicker than 1/4 inch. Fry in the hot skillet until dark brown spots appear on the surface, and they are crispy. Remove from the skillet, and wrap in a clean towel while preparing the remaining flat breads.
- To eat the bread and sauce, break off pieces of the bread, and scoop them into the sauce. It will slide off, but just keep reaching in!
Prep 15 m
Cook 25 m
Ready In 2 h 10 m
- In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup warm water and sugar. Sprinkle the yeast over the top, and let stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy.
- Place flour in a large bowl, and stir in salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the corn oil and yeast mixture. Add the remaining water in small amounts until you have a soft moist dough that can be handled. Turn out onto a floured surface, and knead for at least 5 minutes. Return to the bowl, cover with a towel, and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Deflate the risen dough, and divide into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball with a rolling pin so it is oval shaped, about 6 inches long, and 1/2 inch thick. Use a fork or dull knife to draw three lines on the top of each loaf. Place the loaves on a baking sheet. Mix together the egg and remaining tablespoon of water; brush the tops of the loaves with the mixture. Sprinkle caraway seeds over the tops, if using.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until the loaves are shiny and golden brown.
Black Glutinous Rice Porridge
Prep 15 m
Cook 30 m
Ready In 45 m
- In a saucepan bring water and pandan leaf to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove pandan leaf and stir in brown sugar and white sugar. Continue to cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk and remove from heat.