Ingredients For Yam Sauce With Vegetables
4 cups of sliced tomatoes
Maggi or knorr cubes (2)
5 cups of sliced ugu (fluted pumpkin)
3 tablespoons of Ground crayfish
Salt to taste
Vegetable oil (10cl)
Start by preparing your ingredients. Wash and slice the leaves, tomatoes, peppers and onions.
The image below is a combination of sliced fresh tomato/pepperonions in a plate and sliced fluted pumpkin in another plate. I use some of this while making yam sauce. It would be nice to deep fry the fish after removing the center bone.
How To Make Sauce With Vegetables For Yam
Set your cooking pot on the burner, allow to dry then pour in about 15cl of vegetable oil, this would be enough for frying the fish and also for the main cooking. Allow the oil to heat for at least one minute before frying the fish for about three to five minutes, turn frequently to avoid burning, pick out the fish and set aside.
Transfer the sliced tomatoes/peppers/onions into the pot containing the oil and fry also for about five to ten minutes while stirring occasionally to avoid burning. Fry the tomatoes/peppers until it looses its sour taste due to frying.
We are almost done with making vegetable-tomato sauce for yam.
Once you are done with frying the tomatoes, add a cubes of knorr or maggi. How does it taste?
Add salt to taste, ground crayfish, taste. Stir and add the vegetables after a minute or two.
Allow to simmer for another three to 3-4 minutes.
Serve with cooked white yam. We just made a pot of tomato/vegetable sauce which is used for eating yam as well as rice, beans and few other Nigerian foods.
Prep 15 m
Cook 1 h 20 m
Ready In 1 h 35 m
- Place pumpkin seeds in a blender and blend for 30 to 40 seconds or until mixture is a powdery paste. Set aside.
- Wash beef and cut into bite-size cubes. Season with salt. In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Add beef and saute for 3 to 5 minutes or until brown but not cooked through.
- Place tomatoes, onions, and pepper in a blender and blend for about 30 seconds or until smooth. Add tomato mixture to meat, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover. Cook for 40 to 50 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Add tomato sauce, water, and shrimp and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add spinach and ground pumpkin seeds and continue to simmer 10 minutes more.
Zimbabwean Chicken and Vegetable Soup
Prep 30 m
Cook 1 h 30 m
Ready In 2 h
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot; cook and stir the onion in the hot oil until translucent, about 5 minutes. Whisk 1/2 cup of vegetable stock and the peanut butter into the onions until the mixture is smooth. Beat in remaining vegetable stock, diced tomatoes with their liquid, and crushed red pepper flakes; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and cook at a simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cabbage, sweet potato, carrot, and turnip; simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 30 more minutes. Stir in the okra and chicken and simmer until the okra is tender, about 30 additional minutes.
African Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup
Prep 20 m
Cook 55 m
Ready In 1 h 15 m
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute the onion 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Mix in the garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and cloves. Stir in the tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrot, and continue to cook and stir about 5 minutes.
- Pour water into the saucepan, and season the mixture with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove the soup mixture from heat. In a food processor or blender, blend the soup and peanuts until almost smooth. Season with cayenne pepper. Return to the saucepan. Whisk in the peanut butter, and cook until heated through. Serve warm topped with fresh cilantro.