For the Zobo Drink
Ingredients for Zobo drink :
- Makes about 5+ (150ml) glass cups
- 1 cup Zobo leaves
- Half of a small Pineapple
- Pineapple peels (the skin of the pineapple you’re using)
- 5 to 6 cups of Water
- 1 teaspoonful Cloves (optional)
- 1 tablespoonful Ginger (Grated or chopped Ginger) (optional)
- Sugar or Honey or any sweetener of choice (to taste) (optional)
Notes: you can also add:
Peels of 1 orange/lemon,
OR 1 apple,
OR 1 teaspoon alligator pepper,
Or garlic or cinnamon while boiling the zobo leaves.
Depending on the amount of pineapple you’re using, you might not need any sweetener.
In the absence of fresh pineapple, canned ones or pineapple flavor can also be used.
If you want a lighter consistency, you can make use of more water.
1. Rinse the Zobo leaves in sufficient water and set aside.
Wash the unpeeled pineapple thoroughly,peel of the skin and cut into chunks, but don’t throw away the skin, because you’ll be making use of it too.
2. Now, place the washed zobo leaves into a clean pot, add the water, the pineapple chunks and skin, the grated ginger, cloves(if using) and any other ingredients you’ll like to add.
Cover the pot and let the Zobo leaves boil on medium heat for 35 minutes.
Turn of the heat and leave the pot covered, so that the ingredients can steep a little longer in the hot water and also cool down completely.
3. When the drink cools down, pour the Zobo leaves and all the contents of the pot through a sieve and into a clean container.
4. If you want to, you can add sugar, honey or any sweetener of choice to the strained Zobo drink.
You can drink it right away, topped up with some iced cubes OR
If you’ll rather store it for later, pour into an airtight container and chill in the fridge.
Zobo drink keeps for up to a week or more in the fridge.
Zobo drink can be served
Pineapple Lemonade – It’s sweet, It’s fruity and makes a refreshing drink with an extra something’ something’ – You will want to drink more than one glass.
- 2 cups chopped pineapple
- ½ cup lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoon lime Juice
- ¾ cup sugar replace with honey, or any sweetner
- 2 cups water
- Cold water as needed
- Ice cubes
- Mint leaves Optional
- Moscato – Optional
In a medium saucepan combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil, keep stirring, until sugar has dissolved- about 5-7 minutes. Throw in mint if using any. Let it cool
Place pineapple in a blender and blend until puree- remove and set aside
Pour in a large pitcher, followed by lemon and lime Juice. Then add syrup to taste. Stir until everything comes together. Add sweet wine if including, adjust with cold water, if need be.
Chill or serve with ice cubes.
- You can use fresh pineapples or just grab fresh cut pineapples from the supper market, frozen will work as well. Then you put in the blender and pulse until puree.
- If are press with time, you can sub with 100% pineapple juice.
- You may use sweeteners to replace syrup.
- Feel free to add moscato or sweet wine to the mix.
Jamaican Carrot Juice
Jamaican Carrot Juice- Not your ordinary Carrot Juice , this delightfully creamy and Sweet Carrot Juice that is sure to please- Enjoy for Breakfast or as Cocktail. Vegan Option
- 2 pounds Carrots baby carrots or chopped
- 4 or more cups water
- 1 can Condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg/ cinnamon adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger
- Rum add according to preference optional
- Vegan Condensed Milk
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
Add coconut milk and sugar in a medium saucepan.
Cook on medium heat for about 35 or more minutes, stir often with a whisk you may have to reduce the heat if necessary to prevent any burns. Do not step away from the saucepan. When it has thickened remove and let cool before using. Proceed with carrots and replace the condensed milk with this.
Blend carrot in a blender (I used blendtec until puree) with about 3-4 cups of water.
Sieve the carrot mixture using a Cheesecloth, fine cheese or clean kitchen towel. Squeeze really tight to extract all the carrot Juice. Save the Carrot Juice. Discard the rest.
Rinse the blender with water to remove any leftover carrots.
Then place the carrots juice in the blender together with all the other ingredients. Pulse or about 30 seconds until all the ingredients have come together.
Chill and until ready to drink
I used baby carrots for convience . you may use regular carrots, do peel the exterior and chop before blending.
Pineapple Ginger Juice(West African)
Refreshing Pineapple Ginger Juice with just the right blend of sweet, spicy and sour taste.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 ounce ginger chopped
- 7 cups hot water.
- 1-2 cups fresh pineapple juice
- Juice of freshly squeezed lime
In a large bowl, mix ginger and hot water. Let it sit for about an hour or more. Using a cheesecloth or fine sieve, drain the water and set aside.
In a medium bowl bring to a boil 2 cups water and sugar. Simmer until sugar has dissolved. Allow to cool
Combine ginger water, juice and simple syrup stir and serve over ice
- I used fresh pineapple in this recipe, but when I am press for time store-bought pineapple juice works just fine.
- If you live in an area where pineapples are really sweet then reduce the amount of sugar or completely eliminate it.
- You can also add rum to it